Saturday, December 3, 2016

Book of the Past


Image result for a child called it

I found this book back when I was in De Anza Jr. High School. Before starting our first class, we had to read and take quizzes about the books we had read. I would take hours in the library trying to find a good book.I loved reading a series of books called, “The Magic Tree House.” One day, I was tired, the book I wanted wasn’t available, and I just picked a random book without even looking at it. I didn’t plan on taking the quiz for it, I just wanted it to make my teacher think I was reading something and not get in trouble. To my surprise, I fell in love with the book and it is one of my favorite books. “A Child Called It,” is the story of Dave Pelzer. He was brutally beaten and starved by his alcoholic mother. She would often play tortuous games on him and he had to learn how to play them in order for him to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but an it. Nobody knew about his living nightmare. The only thing that kept him going was his dreams of one day being loved by someone and being called a son. I remember this book because I was a naive girl that didn’t know what abuse was and it opened my eyes. “A Child Called It,” was also the first book to ever made me cry from the first chapter. It made me experience emotions that I didn’t know where possible. It opened something in me and I also feel like it made me grow as a person. When someone asks me if I have a book to recommend I mention this book. I think this book should be read by everyone because it is such an incredible book and is extremely vivid. The detail on this book was just amazing and the whole story was just so emotional that I couldn’t stop reading. All I wanted was to find out if he had a happy ending. I don’t think people would be disappointed with this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment